RE: better

From: nic (nic@xxx.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 09:07:23 PST

e:

coming from a (relatively) poor (american) family, most of whom did not own
property for quite some time (my parents have rented the same half a duplex
for 35 years), I would think that liquidity is more important than assets,
so skip the house. Conversely, breaking poverty cycles is putting a lot of
pressure and expectation on the generation that benefits from more money.
Its an ugly truth, but being poor usually means being uneducated, and,
often, a lack of responsbility. Money is never used as efficiently as it
should be, never for maxmimum benefit. So if you buy the house, there is the
hope that a fixed asset and place to live will provide security and hope for
starting them on some road to fiscal security. But if houses are easily
traded commodities (unlike the United States) due to depressed values, they
might just sell it anyway, out of need or selfishness. If you just give them
the money you will inevitably hear about how it is spent and be certain to
feel like it was wasted in at least some portion. In the end, you don't have
time or money to fix everything to the point where you can be satisfied that
you have made a difference. But that is also something that isn't for you to
know (I look at my father, child of the depression, so poor, and wonder,
what if I did become rich- would it 'help' him, could it make him happier? I
don't know). Flip a coin. Either way, you will be doing the most you can,
and that is the best you can hope for.

granted this is only advice not money, since I didn't contribute (added only
so others don't think I can presume to speak for their generousity, but I
thought it might help because I have spent some years trying to figure out
if I should bite the bullet and try to buy my parents house for them, with
many of the same concerns)

nic