Re: truths

From: Canela (canela@xxx.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 10:51:06 PST

Yes. Thank you, Steve.

~Canela

> This is completely inaccurate, Mark. I read,. write, and care about both
> "fiction" and "non-fiction," Nor do I think either exists by itself in any
> human utterance, certainly not the things I write think or believe. If you
> thread and read carefully you'll find that what I've said (as opposed to
> what I've been interpreted as saying) is that the need to classify something
> AS fiction is evidence of the need to promote that distinction. Why bother
> classifying if you fully accept the relative nature of any human action or
> impression? Except that the LACK of distinction has made the classifier
> nervous.
>
> In fact, I think the nervousness about what might be called personal
> historic expression comes not from whether it is "fiction" or "non-fiction"
> (of which it neither, exclusively) but a fear of the irrational emotional
> expression, particularly of love, happiness, sorrow, and anger, which tend
> to be intimately connected with a person's understanding of their own life.
> And having others identify them with it. And shame them for it.

I release you, fear, because you hold these scenes in front
of me and I was born with eyes that can never close.

I release you, fear, so you can no longer keep me naked
and frozen in the winter, or smothered under blankets in
the summer.

I release you
I release you
I release you

I am not afraid to be angry. I am not afraid to rejoice.
I am not afraid to be black. I am not afraid to be white. I am not
afraid to
be hungry. I am not afraid to be full.
I am not afraid to be hated. I am not afraid to be loved. to be loved,
to be
loved, fear.

Joy Harjo, from "I Give You Back"