RE: Europe's Beggars, Romania's Roma

From: Bill (newb@xxx.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 10:31:32 PST

The article does take a "gypsies are a big problem and it's probably their
fault" view though I don't think you would have to look too far in the
American press to find analogous views. I think of all the rhetoric about
Mexican immigrants in California. What's kind of frightening to me about
these views of the Roma is that this is what they say in the "progressive"
media. You think about where does the information come from and what
questions look like they're possible to ask, and what questions are not
audible. I was thinking that in the end the situation for the Roma is the
effect of EU capitalization and development, and the fact that it looks like
just the Romanians (or the Slovaks) are too fascist and backward not to deal
with the Gypsies this way, that perception too is kind of an effect of
German and French and English rhetoric.

But what do I know, having not been out of Wisconsin in months.