RE: meanwhile, in a rich country...

From: Bill (newb@xxx.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 14:09:42 PST

Listen up ef.

(Did you know that on WISC which is an intelligence test for children there
is a question about whether it is better to give to a beggar or an
established charity. The right answer -- which requires also the reason
why -- is established charity. So, basically, it's just stupid to give
directly the needy. They might deceive you ...)

"Nearly every person in this country wants to help those less fortunate than
themselves. The easy option is to toss a pound coin into someone's hand. The
truth is that the easiest things are not always the right things to do.

Some of the help given to people on the streets, however well-meaning, is
misplaced. We need to provide long-term answers to difficult problems -
complex problems require complex solutions.

The more difficult, but better option is to help people who are homeless by
giving time, goods or money to a registered charity designed to help them in
the longterm."

http://www.societyguardian.co.uk/homelessness/comment/0,8146,403617,00.html