RE: meanwhile, in a rich country...

From: Bill (newb@xxx.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 14:10:37 PST

Yesterday I heard a story about Gypsies in Wisconsin, from a supervisor in
the Department of Corrections with whom I was having lunch. We were in
Racine, a lovely post-industrial city of multi-colored brick and the palest
white people trying to adjust to the idea, if not yet the reality of, many
new brown and poor neighbors, at a nice restaurant overlooking an enormous
empty marina and the cold lake as big as an ocean. She was showing me her
program, how they deal with offenders in the community. There are a lot of
Gypsies in Wisconsin, she said, but most people don't even know that, they
are very well organized. It was minute that, in her mind, the Gypsies were a
sort of new mafia. I did not find out exactly what kind of business they are
in, but I got the idea that it had something to do with fraud. After that
she told me about Yugoslavian gangsters in Kenosha -- nobody wants to be a
probation agent in Kenosha. The Yugoslavians are apparently quite dangerous,
but that is all she could tell me about them. After that I was taken to a
COP house where an Armenian probation agent told me about her high-risk
clients, who are not allowed to associate with known gang members or she
revokes them. Many of them have killed people and many will be shot in the
near future. But nobody dies of exposure in Racine, despite the bitter cold.