RE: bad stuff

From: Bill (newb@xxx.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 08:04:20 PDT

Wal-Mart, like Christ, is always with us. Open you eyes and you will see the
face of God, said Ibn 'Arabi, noted 12th century Sufi. I am fortunate to
live close to a concretized instance of the Wal-Mart spirit, not the shadow
of a dialectical moment in which Katika and her good grandfather abide
unknowing. There is a man or woman, even among the cardboard palaces of
Transylvania, thinking in terms of opportunity, of economies of scale, of
gypsy children three to a shopping cart rolling happily down aisles of
profitable commodities, silver in their grimy hands, singing those catchy
songs they sing, we can sell those too. Ovaltine or Nestles Quick, Ball Park
Hotdogs or the good old standbys, Armour All-Beef franks? These are the
choices children should be contemplating.

But here in northern prairies we do not need to dream of product
availability, it is part of the air we breathe. Soon after I arrived here
Wal-Mart bought up three of four fair sized corn fields and planted a
SuperStore, where you can buy everything from lock washers to kim chee.
There is an elderly woman who passes out, right handed, happy face stickers
to the children entering the store, and with the left hand passes the
all-purpose scanning wand over the genitals of their parents. Across the
way in cosmetics is a bright as cellophane Barbie fully animated and happy
in her work. There are knives under the counter and whatever treatment you
desire she will give you gladly, in the sparkle of fairy dust. Once she was
as desperate as a gypsy too, but she has been saved from all that, when she
sees the small hills hobbling out of the flatlands she believes she is in
the mountains.